|Pride (2003 Series)|
|Place of Creation||Created By Dante|
|Date of Creation||Unknown|
|Age||Unknown (likely to be 4th oldest)|
|Unique Trait||Ultimate Eye|
|Goal||To possess a Philosopher's Stone for the benefit of his master.|
|First Appearance||Episode 6 (2003 series)|
|Voice Actor||Ed Blaylock|
Pride (プライド Puraido ) is the true identity of Führer King Bradley in the 2003 anime series. Created by Dante, he has reached the top of the State Military in order to pull the strings of society to create a Philosopher's Stone for her. By possessing the title of "Führer" King Bradley, enabling him to carry out his reign with little opposition, as well as possessing the heightened abilities of a Homunculus, Pride's position makes him the most powerful entity in the world.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
This Homunculus has been gifted with two abilities, unlike his brethren. The ultimate form of vision, which is accompanied by his extraordinary swordsmanship, as well as the unique ability to age. Unlike his manga counterpart, Wrath, Pride has retained the ability to regenerate any wound. This regenerative ability was demonstrated to its fullest degree when allowing "his entire body to explode" whilst battling Roy Mustang. He was shown (to an extent) to have a tremendous amount of agility/speed, such as his fight with Martel and Roy Mustang, and can use it to close in on his enemies in the blink of an eye. Pride (given his name) also appears the strongest Homunculus, more so than Envy who is actually the oldest. Rather than a testament to his powers growing with age, he is rather a more advanced and perfected Homunculus according to Dante.
Personality and AppearanceEdit
Calm, collected and extremely intelligent, Pride is considered by Dante as being "her masterpiece." He is a largely composed figure much of the time and appears to be indebted to his master for giving him and his brethren life. However, unlike most of his Homunculi partners, Pride's motives and personal goals are largely kept a mystery. It's well established he's very secretive (something he reveals innocously to his son), highly manipulative and is utterly driven in accomplishing key desires; in his case, producing a Philosopher's Stone for Dante to utilize. Despite his guise as the popular King Bradley, he appears to share next to none of the redeemable characteristics that his Wrath manga counterpart possesses at an internal level. He's shown to lack any sense of respect for humankind in general. True to his name, Pride is secretly very narcissistic, considering most other beings beneath him with the exception of Dante and possibly the Homunculi who remain loyal to her. He also appears to possess a cruel streak not shared by his Wrath counterpart, playing a sadistic game of cat-and-mouse with Mustang before attempting to kill him.
Like his manga counterpart Pride is a gifted actor, playing an ongoing charade as the benevolent charming family man in public. This is just a facade, as he secretly harbors a deep contempt for humanity (much like his master). In the final battle at the Fuhrer's mansion, Mustang points out the dichotomy in this ideology when he witnesses his affectionate behavior towards his son Selim. This was until Pride realizes that Selim had unwittingly brought the skull of his original human body to the basement. As this is the one object that can weaken him, Pride strangles Selim, announcing his hatred for him as well.
Pride believes that his enhanced abilities will always bring him victory. This has largely been in the case during his existence, both when masquerading as leader and with Dante secretly pulling the strings of humanity. He was hugely confidence in his own judgement when handing the key to the safe containing his weakness over to Selim-believing his son wouldn't do anything to betray him in any way. When he is finally faced with his one physical disadvantage he reacts with fearsome anger at the realization of his impending death (and his demise being brought on by his "foolish son"). Similarly, Pride takes subtle pleasure in mocking other people's insecurities, such as snidely remarking about Envy's issues with Hohenheim (provoking a violent outburst from the latter), as well as Mustang's sacrificing of his dreams in the almost-botched assassination attempt.
Pride has no problem in starting wars; in the English dub proclaims himself as God's guardian angel because he believes that he is controlling humanity's hubris by depriving them of the Philosopher's Stone (leading him to develop some sort of a messiah-complex). He's shown to be aware of Roy's desire to become Fuhrer, which he finds more amusing than threatening. It would seem that while many of the Homunculi express a desire to become human Pride apparently doesn't. This may be due to his aforementioned contempt for humanity, as well as truly believing in his own facade. Further this point is the theory that Pride's motives for aiding Dante may have more to do with receiving components that fulfil any desire to become human, such as being touted as a benevolent leader popular with the masses, as well as being a loving husband and father. This is a distortion of reality however, as Pride's true nature is revealed to arguably be more 'inhuman' than even the other Homunculi.
Unlike his manga counterpart, his skin has softer features, his mustache is smaller, and his eyes mostly stay closed. He usually wears his Führer uniform, but he also wore a long-sleeved shirt during his fight with Mustang. His Homunculus outfit is a leotard at first, before transforming into a similar outfit when he fought Greed (as portrayed in the manga). Also unlike the manga, he's only ever seen with just one sword as opposed to carrying multiple swords with him.
- Pride is the name thought to be given to the strongest Homunculus. However, it's possible that the 2003 incarnation of Envy is physically stronger than Pride (evident when he was knocked down and didn't fight back or defend himself in any way.) It's important to note, however, that he was more concerned with appearing discourteous in the presence of Dante (whereas Envy didn't care in the slightest).
- Pride's abilities and characteristics are unique to him even among the Homunculi. He can age like a regular human, but also regenerate in near instantaneous time as shown when he allows his body to be completely destroyed in the final battle with Mustang. This was only done as a way of testing his abilities, which he claimed he never had much opportunity to when acting the role of King Bradley. Note that the concept of a human-based Homunculus was never covered in the 2003 anime like in the manga or in 2009's Brotherhood. Another point of interest is the particular skin tone Pride has, which is very similar to that of Greed's and Gluttony's. This could be due to all being created by the master alchemist Dante (it's very likely that Gluttony was as well, despite never being stated outright). Like all Homunculi, he is greatly weakened when in the proximity of his original human body's remains. Unlike the other deaths of the species showcased in the anime however, Pride wasn't totally immobilized when coming into contact with his human counterpart's skull. Although his remains were concealed from view it had been well established that other Homunculi such as Sloth, Lust and Greed would become totally paralyzed by any nearby original traces of the original human-whether they were hidden from direct view or not. Contrary to this, Pride was able to muster the strength to strangle Selim as the boy held the skull. Further to this is evidence that he could physically handle his remains when moving them into a safe without becoming completely debilitated (he was shown to be under a huge amount of duress, however). Pride was only completely paralyzed and subsequently defeated when Mustang directly revealed these remains to him. It was also possible that the homunculus used up all his strength at the time when murdering Selim in his rage.
- It's unclear if he has any genuine feelings towards his wife like his manga counterpart does, although his attitude towards humanity makes it highly unlikely. However, he did order General Hakuro to send flowers to Mrs Bradley when Hakuro was left as Deputy Führer for a brief time.
- Although the 2003 anime has no mention or suggestion of a human-based Homunculus, it's possible that whoever Pride was originally created from voluntarily agreed to be used by Dante. This seems likely as, other than Envy, he appears the most informed about Dante's plan and the most willing to act on what he believes Dante would want regardless of previous orders. He also is willing to punish Lust when she assists Scar, contrary to Dante's orders at that point, which would make him Dante's enforcer along with Envy (who's more of a right-hand man).
- By thinking age-wise, it's unclear what course of action Dante would take if he stayed as Führer for too long (to the point that others would question his true identity). It has been heavily implied that she could alter his appearance at some point, which she has shown to be capable in doing when she removed Gluttony's Ouroboros tattoo (and consequently reducing his thoughts to the 'sin' he represents). Reversing his age or shifting his appearance in some other way would allow Pride to stay in the position of King Bradley indefinitely, until his master's plan was completed.
- Pride's similarities to real-world dictator Adolf Hitler are even more pronounced than his manga's counterpart. He proclaims with confidence that many of the genocides committed by the Amestris military are a "purification of the population", which represents the superior line of thinking he believes he possesses over humanity when making decisions.
|Lust | Gluttony | Greed | Sloth | Wrath | Envy | Pride|
|Wrath | Sloth | Pride|